Turning Back to Teal
With Mother’s Day fast approaching we decided to do a little field testing with heart-shaped helium balloons for a mother and two daughter portrait session. We thought it would be a great prop and fun for the kids as well. From bubbles to balloons! After calling around a few local Gold Coast companies, we found that Spot Light in Burleigh was able to order in the balloons we wanted, and would have them filled and ready for pick up an hour before the session was set to start. We were told that these shaped latex balloons don’t hold their shape for long, so we needed to have the filled as close as possible to the time. Now that we had our main prop finalized, on to the planning stages of deciding where to set the scene; and the teal walls of the La Costa Motel sprung to mind.
Built in the 1950s this gem in Tugan has been newly renovated and sits just opposite the Gold Coast Airport on Golden Four Drive. Staying true to it’s heritage, the hotel even hosts Vanity Makeovers where guests can undergo a retro hair and makeup session, complete with professional portraiture. How fun does that sound! “Stay vacation” for locals or treat for tourists!
The kids just lit-up when they saw two large bags floating behind me and joyously played with the balloons as we looked quickly for a place to focus on out the front of the motel. With the beautiful soft teal walls, bright colored outdoor furniture and kitsch picked white fences the scene was set.
Canon 6D, Fixed 50mm USM 1.4f lens, 3.00pm – Tugun
Balloons are a great way to add color to your photos, and get the kids laughing and having fun during the process. Here are some of our takeaway points to help the family photographer.
- Make sure each child has their own bunch of balloons. Sharing with kids is important and by giving each little person the same prop you avoid sharing conflicts ;-).
- Think about the color. If you have blue balloons, don’t wear blue or photograph on a blue background. Try and go for a complimentary color.
- Grab a mix of balloon colors. We went for white, pink and red and it made for a nice break-up of color.
- Put a weight on the bundles of balloons and have the kids hold onto this.
- In our shoot we used 20 balloons and this cost us $40AUD.
- We discovered some great giant letter balloons. Can’t wait to try something with the word love!
A special thanks goes the La Costa Motel for hosting our little shoot! We were very happy to see the colors just pop in these photos. Thank you Hall family, we enjoyed spending our time with you!
La Costa Motel Brochure